There were speculations on Thursday that the four-member Cricket Selection Committee, headed by Sanath Jayasuriya had resigned citing interference.

According to informed sources, the closest reason has been an attempt by cricket administrators to include seven under-performing national players in the Sri Lanka ‘A’ Team for the home series against the England Lions.

Sri Lanka Cricket is yet to announce the 15-man squad for the unofficial Test series which begins on February 17 in Pallekele and the delay is said to be due to the current stand-off between selectors and the Board.

Daily Mirror learns Dimuth Karunaratne, Kaushal Silva, Dinesh Chandimal, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dhananjaya de Silva and Jeffrey Vandersay were among the seven players SLC want to try out during the England ‘A’ series against the wishes of the selectors.

Jayasuriya who was in South Africa overseeing the National Team returned home last evening and met with the cricket officials but details of the meeting were not known.

Jayasuriya when contacted neither denied nor confirmed the story but admitted he was on his way home.

In late December Minister of Sports Dayasiri Jayasekera intervened to defuse tensions with the selectors and the Cricket Board after Jayasuriya threatened to resign citing interference.

Speaking to Daily Mirror Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekara denied receiving a letter from Sanath Jayasuriya.“I spoke to him Tuesday night, but he never mentioned to me anything nor has he sent me a letter,” Minister said.

Jayasuriya took over as Chief Selector for a second stint little over a year after he stepped down from the role, replacing an ad-hoc committee led by Aravinda de Silva in April last year.

De Silva took charge after the Cricket Board unceremoniously sacked the committee headed by Kapila Wijegunawardane, just hours before the Sri Lanka team’s departure to the ICC World T20 in March.